Today is the first day of Organic Beauty Week run by the Soil Association and this event runs until May 13th, 2018.
For the whole of this week, I am offering a FREE Organic Neal's Yard Gift with selected treatments or £10 off any Deluxe Organic Facial.
For those of you who are new to organic beauty, here is some information on the benefits of using organic products:
1) The most important benefit of using natural and organic skin care is that you are more likely to be using products which contain ingredients which are not harmful to your skin, your internal systems and the planet!
These are just some of the common, harmful ingredients found in skin and personal care products
- DEA/TEA derivatives - associated with known carcinogens.
- EDTA - a powerful metal ion chelator that doesn’t biodegrade readily.
- Parabens - concerns have been raised over estrogen-like activity.
- Phthalates - Some phthalates are very toxic and they have been banned from EU products and other main markets.
- Silicones - synthetically produced emollients which may block the pores
- Genetically Modified ingredients
- Synthetic fragrances - which can trigger allergies and asthma.
- BHT - A petroleum derived ingredient, which is toxic to the aquatic environment.
- Mineral oils - Derived from petroleum, a non-renewable resource from a polluting industry.
- Triclosan - Research indicates this ingredient may contribute to antibiotic resistance in bacteria.
It is a known fact that some ingredients in many skin and personal care products are absorbed into our blood stream via the skin. There are many ways in which those ingredients can harm us once they are inside our internal systems.
Natural products are unlikely to contain any of the above harmful ingredients and in addition to this organic products will not contain any pesticide residues. With that being said any product or its ingredients (natural or synthetic) can cause skin irritation, so if in doubt always patch test on a small area before use all over your skin.
2) The ingredients used in natural and organic skin and personal care products are effective and are also often beneficial in multiple ways. For example, Lavender essential oil is helpful for acne, allergies, athlete's foot, eczema, inflmmations, psoriasis, burns, wounds, muscular aches and pains, asthma, flu, low mood, insomina, nervous tension and stress related conditions.
3) Natural and organic skin and personal care products are more likely to be biodegradable and therefore will not harm the planet. In contrast some ingredients such as plastic microbeads used in body and facial exfoliators are still polluting the oceans and affecting wildlife.
4) Organic products are produced using ingredients which are farmed in such a way as to "designed to minimise the human impact on the environment, while ensuring the agricultural system operates as naturally as possible". (EU)
5) Many producers of natural and organic products will also have strong ethical practices such as sustainability, fair trade and non animal testing.
You may or may not know, I am an Indpendent Consultant for Neal's Yard Organic who sell a range of skin care, body care and natural health products which are all organic.
If you would like to know more about the products, I offer FREE consultations and also have a lot of information on my Downloads page.
Until next time