If you have recently decided to take better care of yourself, then self-care Sunday is a great place to start. It is typically more of a relaxing day where we have more time to tend to ourself.
Here are some simple ideas for your self-care Sunday
If you take part in self-care Sunday for a few weeks you will start to feel the benefit and hopefully that will give you the momentum to continue and may even to integrate more self-care into your everyday life.
Without regular and consistent self-care, your physical, emotional and mental health will start to deteriorate and you may experience:
- Physical ill health
- Lowered immunity which will make you more susceptible to catching infections
- Weight loss or gain
- Loss of physical fitness
- Stress symptoms e.g. physical tension, recurring headaches, emotional tension, irritability, anger, brain fog, lack of focus, digestive upsets
- Insomnia or disrupted sleep
- Mental and emotional imbalances such as low mood, anxiety, anger and irritability
- Lack of physical energy
If you can slowly start to integrate regular self-care activities into your everyday routine, you will definitely start to see improvements in your physical, mental and emotional health. It is wise to choose activities that you know that enjoy, that you can keep up with and that will fit into your routine.
For example, this is my basic everyday self-care routine
- I eat healthy, nourishing food about 80% of the time and indulge in cakes, chocolate and crisps the other 20% of the time!
- I do some form of exercise at least 5 days a week: walking in the park, yoga, afro-beats aerobics, power walking videos. As I am busy, I prefer to do 2 or 3 x 15 mins online videos in the morning, lunchtime or evening and a long walk at least once a week.
- I diffuse essential oils throughout the day either to relax, energise or to purify my work space
- I release what is going on internally, i.e. my thoughts and feelings by journalling and by talking to people that I trust
- I stop watching, listening to or reading the news if it starts to increase my anxiety too much
- I turn my mobile onto "do not disturb" at least 1 hr before bedtime, I sometimes do 15 mins bedtime yoga and diffuse relaxing essential oils
- I love taking care of my skin, so I do have a twice daily skincare routine and do a full facial once every 2 weeks.
This is what works for me, what I enjoy and it fits into my everyday life to the point that is almost now habitual. So I encourage you to do the same.
If you are interested in learning more about Self-Care, I have a number of products and services available
Self Care E-books e.g. aromatherapy, ayurveda, skin care etc
Self-Care Online courses - my signature holistic self-care online course, introduction to aromatherapy, 28 day stress management challenge and more
If you would like to download my FREE introduction to self-care guide which also includes a self-care action plan template, you can do so here.
Until next time